That’s it right? Well, I think I have a better way and it’s not actually that difficult once you know the routine and the right products to use. There are so many benefits to a good skin care routine, that it is so worth an extra few steps.
I’m sure you are taking steps to remove your makeup at the end of the day but what about your morning routine? I’m here to help you with 5 easy steps to a clean fresh face that will be positively glowing.
1. First things first, put that regular wash cloth back in the cupboard! For your face you want a microfibre cloth. Your regular wash cloth is too rough for delicate facial skin. A microfibre cloth has fibres that are finer than a hair and that allows the cloth to get into your pores to remove dirt and oil. Microfibre is also very absorbent and it will pull out and soak up dirt and excess oil from your skin while reducing bacteria. Gently wash your face with your microfibre washcloth and water. This will remove all of your makeup including mascara. This will also clean out pores and even remove excess oil. Don’t dry your face yet…
2. Use a mild liquid cleanser to gently clean your face. Your face ends with your décolleté, so don’t forget to go down your neck and chest with your cleanser (and toner and moisturizer). Apply with fingertips and gently massage your skin until your whole face has been cleansed. One of my personal favourites is the Botanical Kinetics Creme Cleanser. I also love the AVEDA Exfoliating Cleanser (I have dryer skin and it loves the jojoba beads which gently exfoliate the skin while providing moisture). Use your cloth and gently wipe your face rinsing and repeating until you have removed all the cleanser. Gently pat your face dry.
3. Time for a toner! A toner is a must have as it serves several purposes: It reduces blemishes from oily or acne prone skin, minimizes pores by removing excess oil and contaminants from your skin. A toner will also restore the natural pH level to your skin. It’s like giving your skin a cool drink of water, plus it feels amazing and can be used right over your make-up for a refreshing daytime pick-me-up. I keep my toner in the fridge with a spray nozzle for those hot summer days, a quick spritz and your skin feels fresh and revitalized. I love the Aveda skin toners, they have two: Botanical Kinetics Skin Toning Mist for Normal to Oily skin and Skin Toning Agent for Normal to Dry Skin. Allow your face and décolleté to air dry before the next step.
4. Now your face is clean and ready for eye cream, anti-aging serum or any other products that are part of your daily routine. I would be happy to recommend the products that are right for your skin type, challenges and goals. We have highly targeted solutions for every face!
5. Don’t forget to moisturize! I personally use and love the Aveda Tulasara Sleeping Masque! It isn’t really a masque but rather a wonderfully creamy moisturizer that is absorbed into the skin completely leaving your face feeling smooth and nourished). I also use the Tulasara Eye Cream and Firming Serum. These are my “don’t leave the house without them” products. This step seals in the active ingredients in your creams and serums while it nourishes your skin. If you don’t moisturize your skin will try to compensate by producing extra oil which can lead to enlarged pores and acne. When you apply your moisturizer start at your décolleté and work up using gentle circular motions…never pull the product in a downward motion! We are trying to work against gravity here!
Now you are ready to face the day! Remember to apply sunscreen. I love the Aveda Daily Light Guard Sunscreen which has an SPF of 30 and can be mixed in with your foundation. Applying a primer will prevent your makeup from soaking into your skin. Apply makeup as usual.
At the end of your day repeat from step one. Keep using these 5 steps every day to maintain your beautiful skin. Your skin will thank you!
If you have any questions about the best way to care for your skin, just ask! I have been an esthetician for 20 years and I am always happy to show you how my skin has been transformed with the AVEDA products. The proof is written all over my 48 year old/young face!